Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Doors

I've combined two prompts.  Again.

StoryDam Writing Prompt

Prompt:

Free write for ten to fifteen minutes about what is inside of you whether it is metaphorically or physically. Or… write a story about the above choice, will you find the key to open the door to your past, present, or future?

Word Prompt: Key

Sentence Prompt:

I held the key but didn’t know where it would lead…
Did she really want to know what was behind the door…
Of course this may lead you in a completely different direction. Follow your heart and write what you think, feel, know!


Trifecta; Week Sixty-seven

JUGGLE (transitive verb)
1a : to practice deceit or trickery on : beguile
  b : to manipulate or rearrange especially in order to achieve a desired end
2a : to toss in the manner of a juggler
  b : to hold or balance precariously
3: to handle or deal with usually several things (as obligations) at one time so as to satisfy often competing requirements <juggle the responsibilities of family life and full-time job — Jane S. Gould>
Please remember: 
  • Your response must be between 33 and 333 words. 
  • You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post. 
  • The word itself needs to be included in your response. 
  • You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above. 
  • Only one entry per writer. 
  • Trifecta is open to everyone. Please join us. 




There is a door inside my head.  Or rather, there are doors.

One is the door of responsibility, the one that opens on orderly shelves. Where bills are paid on time and promises are kept.  The one that has my time scheduled minute to minute. Everything is tidy and perfectly spaced.

Around the corner is the door of dreams, where I have a whirlpool bathtub, and I can sleep until I feel like waking up. A place where I can all my own food, spin my own yarn, and make my own soap.

The door of imagination.  Packed behind that door are the voices of the page. The immortals that have a book for me to write. Or the stories of the widow and her late husband's dog.  And the tales of cats with more than mice on their minds.  

I want to unlock all the doors at once, let their contents loose.  I want to juggle it all into a manageable, glorious adventure.  

I just want it all.

21 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the doors inside our heads, and what lies behind them! Very, very clever!! Right now, I'd take the whirlpool tub and an endless supply of chocolate:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Chocolate, how could I forget chocolate, and thanks for stopping by Valerie

      Delete
  2. Wonderful combination! Love the last paragraph. "I want to unlock all the doors at once, let their contents loose. I want to juggle it all into a manageable, glorious adventure."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Morgan! It was good to see a StoryDam prompt again.

      Delete
  3. I know that feeling--of wanting it all. :-) Nice job with the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story was an adventure. I know those doors. I want to hear more about that cat who has more than mice on it't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ted! Ah, the cats, they are busy, busy...
      I'll have to track down the posts.

      Delete
  5. Great use of metaphor. And it is great they way you analyze the competing demands and come to a conclusion that reflects who you are. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of all the compartments and the treasures they hold.

    Bit of crit: doors don't have shelves or bathtubs.
    The last one was fine: behind the door of imagination...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kymm! I went back and fixed the first door, but haven't decided what I want to do for the other one, good concrit!

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of having all of these different rooms in your head -- compartmentalization, I guess it's called -- you've illustrated it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bee! I wish my head was so organized!

      Delete
  8. Me too! I want it all! Loved these three lines: The immortals that that have a book for me to write. Or the stories of the widow and her late husband's dog. And the tales of cats with more than mice on their minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, those are the characters that fill this blog, with their stories and habits and all.

      Delete
  9. That would be one crazy adventure if you unlocked all the doors. Go for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The idea of doors in minds is hardly new, but you make it seem new (: I love how you described each room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Renee, wanting it all is fine by me! Seems like you are looking inward with your desires, and that's the best place... your heart. I related "doors" to my daughter Riley, in that we have addiction problems in our family. Told her there is a door that will cry to be opened... that you can take a peek (have a beer) once in a while, but once that door is flung open, it takes heaven and earth to close it.

    Loved the concept and what you did with it. Thanks! Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/03/05/mary-queen-of-rights/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!This is exemplary Renee-loved every bit of it for I too feel the same-only I could have never voiced it so beautifully:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicely written, well done!

    ReplyDelete